The UK's Con-Dem government is promoting 'Free Schools' without realising that there is a long and proud history of counter-cultural, libertarian free schools across the world.
The weekend was well attended and included, urban scrumping, the UK premiere of Psywar (watch online | download | bittorrent | audio version), discussions about what is a social centre? and how can we bring about radical change in our society? and much more.
Sheffield Social Centre group is building on a series of actions over the years, like the 2010 Temporary Autonomous Arts space (TAA) and the long-running Matilda free space. They intend to establish a permanent 'autonomous space' for political and other activities. The intention is a long-term plan, but meanwhile the weekend schedule for October is online on their website www.sheffieldsocialcentre.org.uk.
It's a way of bringing together the energy, skills, and sheer fun of doing things together, just because we can ... and working towards social change. There is a busy line-up planned, of workshops, discussion and lively activity, from Friday evening till Sunday (which incidentally has the dramatically memorable date 10/10/10).
At the time of writing the planned agenda includes:
- Workshops including: bicycle repair, open-source software (like Linux),
- non-hierarchical decision-making, online security for activists, and permaculture
- 'Urban Scrumping'
- The UK premiere of "Psywar", a film about corporate and government propaganda, and other films
- Free shop for donated clothes and books
- Environmental crafts for kids
- Collaborative artwork
- Discussions including: social centres, radical change, queer theory, community organising, non-violent direct action and anarcho-feminism
- Yoga classes
Come along for an insight into a more real, hands-on world than the Con-Dem government, or any government, could never offer.