It sheds light on the work of the US base which is run by the National Security Agency (NSA) under an informal and secretive lease agreement with the UK Government. Important questions are raised within the report regarding the base's accountability to Parliament.
The report covers:
- Menwith Hill's strategic role as a regional intelligence base illegally collecting and analyzing information from satellites, phone tapping and the interception of internet traffic
- The role that Menwith Hill plays in information-led warfare for US military actions such as drone attacks
- An examination of claims made by the US authorities, and repeated in
- Parliament, of the economic benefit of the base to the local community
- The hidden economic costs of the base and the degree to which these are subsidised by the UK taxpayer
See also: http://sheffield.indymedia.org.uk/2012/03/493472.html